Monday, June 22, 2009

What Father's Day Means to Me

Psalm 103:13
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him

Father's Day, the third Sunday in June, is a special day for me. I'm lucky to have four men that I call fathers in my life (three of my very own) and I remind myself of this often, especially on Father's Day. I'll start with my own dad. He's a simple man, works hard for a living everyday. I do mean everyday, 7 days a week. He's a construction worker so there's not a day that goes by when he doesn't have something going on. My parents divorced when I was very young, so my mom raised me, until she remarried. Dad was around every other weekend when he could be. I remember playing with him on weekends, going to the lake to camp, or just lying around the entire weekend watching movies. He would have me rub his back and then he would fall asleep. I think that was in his plans all along. At night, I would get home sick and have to call my mom. She had to talk me into staying with him just about every time. Don't get me wrong, I loved (and still do) my dad, but when it was bedtime, I wanted my Mommy. She was all I really knew. As I got older I got closer to my dad. He started coming around more and wanting more to do with me. We've really gotten closer since I was pregnant with his first granddaughter. Deep down I think that he is making up for lost time, time that he couldn't spend with me because he stayed so busy. I'm okay with that. Better late than never. Thank you dad for loving me and blessing me with all of the fun memories!

About 20 years ago my mom remarried to a wonderful guy whom I admire now. At the beginning, I wasn't too easy to get along with. I didn't want my mom to be with anyone but me. I mean, at the time, it had just been her and me my whole life. I was NOT willing to share. So I made it my every intention to run this man off. He did not go anywhere, so I finally came to the conclusion that he loved my mom and was going to stay with her no matter what. My mom was happy and so was I. I don't know if he knows this or not, but he's the one who influenced me to go to college. He had his master's degree and I thought that was the coolest thing. Nobody in my family ever went to college. I was going to go so I could be smart like him. He taught me to drive and helped me to get a better understanding of why men like to hunt. He also introduced deer meat to me, which by the way, he can fix some awesome deer meat. Not to mention, deer jerky. Ummm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. He was also on one side of me, my dad on the other, the day I walked down the isle to marry my wonderful husband. Thank you Wesley for all of the things you've taught me and all of the love you have shown these last several years!

In 2002, I was given another father through marriage. The father to my husband, that is. This man is one of the most Godly men I know. I haven't experienced that much in my lifetime, so this is another man whom I admire. I've never heard anything negative come out of this mans mouth. He helped to raise a wonderful family who loves and cares for people the way everyone should. There's nothing that this man desires more than God and family. To me, that is amazing. I see the future of my husband through this man and that makes me so happy. Thank you Butch for being a Godly father-in-law and a wonderful role model for my husband.

Now, this leads me to the man that I call The Greatest Dad. This man has been wonderful since day one. He has never let me down. He enjoys being with his little "princess" and she enjoys being with him. He's there for her when she cries, and when she does something she should not do, well, he's there for that, too. He helps her to understand why she should not do that again. Reading to her is something he does a lot of and teaching her things with her cards like the alphabet, colors, and counting is something that goes on almost daily. I enjoy sitting back and watching them bond like they do. That is something that I don't know much about. I hope she has great memories of her daddy. Not only just memories, but I hope that she learns things about life, and that she sees how much her daddy loves the Lord and will hopefully apply those things to her life. What I found in three different men, Madilyn Grace and soon to be Natalee Brooke has in one. What a wonderful blessing that is. I am so proud of you Bill! I love you with all of my heart! You've come a long way!!

Still Growing in Christ,
Tanya

3 comments:

Jenifer said...

I just found your blog today!! I am so glad you have started a blog. It is so fun to get to know each other. I do have to say having two now it is harder to find the time to write but I do try.

I know how you feel about getting the room ready and clothes washed. I was so prepared with Aubrey. When it was getting close to time for barrett to be here I felt like nothing was done! It didn't help any that I decided to paint the room about 3 weeks before he was born. :)

If you ever need me to watch Madilyn Grace so you can get some stuff done please let me know! I am sure Aubrey would love to play. We go to the pool a few times a week.

Jenifer

Tricia said...

What a wonderful tribute to your husband and your dads... reading it brought tears to my eyes!

Blessings!

DeeDee said...

great post Tanya! Good to have you blogging with us. I tried to "follow" you... and for some reason it signed Hal up LOL... I will try to fix that. Not that he would not "follow"... but I was trying to add me to the list. And I will add you to my side bar too!
Sweet Blessings,